Asparagus and Jack Cheese Frittata
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed, cut on diagonal into 1/4-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 3 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Serving suggestion: basic green salad
Heat the broiler to high and arrange rack in upper third.
In a large ovenproof frying pan, heat the oil and the butter over medium-high heat. When it foams, add asparagus, season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cilantro. Reduce heat to low, pour in egg mixture, and cook until a 1-inch border of egg mixture is firm, about 3 minutes. (The center of the frittata will not be set at this point.) Place the pan in oven and broil until some spots are browned and eggs are just set, about 2 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve with a side salad. It can be served warm or at room temperature.
Per serving (based on 8 servings): Calories 137; Total Fat 10 grams; Saturated Fat 4 grams; Protein 9 grams; Total Carbohydrate 3 grams; Sugar: 1 gram; Fiber 1 gram; Cholesterol 196 milligrams; Sodium 350 milligrams;
Recipe courtesy of Aida Mollenkamp