Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Sandwich
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 (6 to 8 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2 ciabbata rolls, halved lengthwise and toasted
- 1 tablespoon whole grain Dijon mustard
- 1 medium head Belgian Endive, TK, cored and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 medium gala, braeburn, or pink lady apple, cored, halved and thinly sliced
Place chicken between 2 sheets of plastic wrap or parchment paper and use a frying pan to gently pound the breasts to an even thickness. (They should be about 1 inch thick.)
Combine flour, salt, and freshly ground black pepper in a wide, shallow dish and mix thoroughly. Coat each breast by dredging it in the flour mixture then shaking off excess flour. Wrap one piece of bacon around each piece of chicken and secure with a toothpick.
To make a sandwich, spread mustard evenly on cut sides of bread. Layer half of each endive and apple slices alternately on one piece of bread, top with a chicken breast, drizzle with pan juices, season with freshly ground black pepper, and close sandwich. Repeat to make a second sandwich.
Recipe courtesy of Aida Mollenkamp