Eggs in Purgatory: Shakshuka
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 yellow onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons harissa paste or 1 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 4 medium jarred roasted bell peppers, small dice (about 1 cup)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes with juices
- 1 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 4 large eggs
- Pita bread or baguette, for serving
Heat oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. When it shimmers, add onion and cook until just softened, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, harissa, and garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add peppers and stir to coat. Add tomatoes and salt and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 30 minutes.
Stir in half of the parsley, break the eggs over the tomatoes. Cover and continue to cook for about 7 to 8 minutes, until the eggs are set. Sprinkle remaining parsley, season with freshly ground black pepper and serve immediately with pita bread or baguette.
Per serving (does not include bread): Calories 408; Total Fat 17 grams; Saturated Fat 4 grams; Protein 20 grams; Total Carbohydrate 42 grams; Sugar: 19 grams; Fiber 8 grams; Cholesterol 372 milligrams; Sodium 3879 milligrams