Mustard-Onion Jam Crackers With Figs
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions (about 1 1/2 pounds), quartered and thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 to 3 teaspoons sweet-hot German mustard
- Nut crisps or pita crackers (about 60), for serving
- 1 1/2 cups fresh ricotta cheese
- 1 pint fresh figs, stemmed and sliced
Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. When it shimmers, add the onions and 1 tablespoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened, just broken down and are beginning to color, 12 to 15 minutes.
Stir in 4 tablespoons vinegar and the orange juice; cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is mostly broken down, thickened and golden brown, 7 to 10 minutes.
Remove from the heat; stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar and the mustard. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
To assemble, top each crisp or cracker with about 1 teaspoon ricotta, 1/2 teaspoon mustard-onion jam and a slice of fig.
Photograph by John Kernick
Thank you! your flag was submitted.