Roasted Beet and Ginger Salad
- 2 pounds medium to small beets
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 25 to 30 parsley leaves, washed and dried
- 20 to 30 small to medium-size mint leaves, washed and dried
I love to use the first batch of beets in spring for this salad. The mint is the perfect compliment to the apple cider and balsamic vinegars in the dressing.
Cook the beets: Using a pot large enough to hold all of the beets, fill it 3/4 of the way with cold water and add the beets. Season the water generously with salt. Bring the liquid to a gentle simmer over low heat. When the beets are tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, drain the water and allow them to cool for about 10 minutes. Peel them by "wiping" the skin off with a kitchen towel. Trim the tough parts of the tops and bottoms with a small knife and cut each beet into "sections" like pieces of an orange.
Make the dressing: In a medium bowl, combine the cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and sea salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in the beets. Put the bowl in the refrigerator and allow the beets to marinate for about 10 to 15 minutes.
When ready to serve, add the olive oil, ginger and parsley leaves. Toss to coat the beets. Use a scissors to "snip" the mint leaves over the salad and serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.