Green Peas with Cheese and Herbs
- 3 quarts water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound fresh or frozen peas, approximately 3 cups
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 4 ounces cheese ( ricotta salata, fontina or Swiss), cut into 1/4-inch cubes
In a large covered saucepan over high heat, bring the water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a boil. Add the peas and cook 1 minute for frozen and 3 to 3 1/2 minutes for fresh. Remove from heat, drain in a colander and immediately plunge the peas into ice cold water to stop the cooking. Drain and set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the red wine vinegar, shallot, salt and pepper. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while continuing to whisk. Add the peas, mint, parsley and cheese and stir to combine. Cover and allow to sit in refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes prior to serving.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.