- 2 cups water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard seed
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 8 ounces ice
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh boneless pork butt, cut into 2-inch cubes
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Combine all of the ingredients except the ice and the pork in a 2-quart nonreactive saucepan, set over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and maintain a simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the ice and stir. Place the pork into a 1-gallon zip top bag and add the cooled pickling liquid. Remove as much air as possible; seal the bag and place in the refrigerator for at least 3 days, turning the bag occasionally. Use within 2 weeks or remove from the pork from the brine and freeze.
Recipe courtesy of Alton Brown, 2008