Turkey with Stuffing
- 1 (10 to 12-pound) turkey, with giblets removed
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 2 ounces dried mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus extra for rubbing on turkey
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus extra for seasoning turkey
- 3 cups Challah bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (from approximately 4 to 5 slices)
- 4 ounces unsweetened dried cherries, approximately 1 cup
- 2 ounces chopped pecans, approximately 1/2 cup
- 2 whole eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons dried rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus extra for seasoning chicken
- Special equipment: 1 re-usable organic cotton produce bag*
*Cook's Note: The bag is optional. Once the stuffing is made, you can place the stuffing into the bag and then place the bag into the cavity of the turkey.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Place the turkey into a deep, high-sided bowl on its end with the stuffing end up. Set aside.
Heat the chicken broth in the microwave in a large microwave-proof container. Place mushrooms in a glass bowl and pour heated broth over them. Cover and allow to sit for 35 minutes.
In a large mixing bowl toss the onion, celery, and green pepper with the oil and salt. Place the vegetables on a sheet pan and roast for 35 minutes. During the last 10 minutes of cooking, spread the cubed bread over the vegetables, return to the oven, and continue cooking.
microwave-proof bowl with the vegetables and bread, reserved chicken stock, cherries, pecans, eggs, sage, parsley and black pepper. Stir well in order to break up pieces of bread. Use your hands to combine, if necessary. Heat the stuffing in a microwave on high power for 6 minutes.
While the stuffing is heating, rub the bird with oil. Working quickly, place the stuffing into the cavity of the turkey to avoid losing heat. Place the turkey into a roasting pan, on a rack, and season with salt and pepper. Place the roasting pan on the middle rack of the oven. Roast for 45 minutes and then reduce the heat to 350 degrees F and cook for another 60 to 75 minutes or until the bird reaches an internal temperature of 170 degrees F. Serve immediately.