Pickled Cauliflower Salad with Chanterelles and Fennel
- Pickled cauliflower:
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into very small florets
- 1 cup champagne vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 big shakes hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 pound chanterelles, cleaned and pulled into bite-size pieces
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 small bulb fennel, sliced very thin on the mandoline, reserve fronds for serving
- 1 small spring onion, julienned
- 2 cups washed baby arugula
- Good quality finishing oil
Combine all the ingredients in covered container and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a small baking pan add the mushrooms, oil, salt, and crushed red pepper, to taste, and toss to coat. Roast until the mushrooms are soft and golden around the edges, about 12 to 15 minutes
Toss together the mushrooms, fennel, onion, arugula, fennel fronds, and pickled cauliflower in a large bowl. Toss with some big fat finishing oil and a little of the pickling liquid. Taste and add salt, if needed. The salad should be very flavorful without being soggy. Arrange on individual serving plates and serve.
What a salad- it's springtime on a plate!
The pickled cauliflower adds a lot to this salad but it is a MUST DO ahead. Also, a big batch of these can be made and reserved in the refrigerator.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.