Salt and Herb Roasted Whole Fish
- 2 lemons, 1 zested and juiced and 1 sliced into thin rounds
- 1 bunch fresh thyme, half picked and half left whole
- 4 fresh bay leaves, coarsely snipped using scissors
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 9 egg whites
- 8 cups kosher salt
- Two 1-pound whole fish, such as branzino or orate, fins and gills removed
- High-quality olive oil, for finishing
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
In a large bowl combine the herb-egg white mixture with the salt and mix until it becomes a moist paste.
Place half of the lemon slices and whole thyme in the cavity of each of the fish. On a baking sheet, place a little less than half of the salt mixture in two rows. Lay the fish on top of each row. Pack the remaining salt mixture around the fish to completely encase them, pressing the mixture firmly on the fish to create a crust.
Roast the fish for 25 minutes. Remove and let rest for 10 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Anne Burrell