- 6 slices light bread
- 1 tablespoon light whipped butter or light buttery spread
- 2 cups chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper
- 1/3 cup fat-free chicken broth, room temperature, plus more, if needed
- 1/4 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute
- 4 cups chopped Fuji apples
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup raisins (not packed)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Lightly toast the bread slices. Cut them into cubes and set aside.
Add butter to a pot over medium heat on the stove. Once melted, add onion, celery, shallots, garlic, and salt. Add pepper, to taste. Saute the veggies until softened, about 6 minutes, stirring frequently.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine broth with egg substitute and stir thoroughly. Set aside.
Remove the pot from heat and add apples, parsley, and raisins. Mix well and set aside.
Add toasted bread cubes to the broth mixture and stir to coat. Add vegetable-apple mixture and gently stir. The bread cubes should be moist but not saturated. Add a few extra tablespoons of broth to coat, if needed.
Spray a medium baking dish with nonstick spray. Transfer stuffing mixture to the baking dish. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove foil and, using a fork, gently fluff and rearrange stuffing. Return to the oven, uncovered. Bake until the top is golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
While the stuffing is still warm, mix gently, if needed. Devour!
PER SERVING (1/8th of recipe, about 1 cup): 108 calories, 1g fat, 206mg sodium, 24g carbs, 4.25g fiber, 12g sugars, 3g protein