Apricot Rice Pudding
- 1 cup raw short-grain rice, rinsed in a colander until the water runs clear (recommended: Arborio)
- 4 1/2 cups whole, 2 percent fat, or 1 percent fat milk
- 1/4 cup diced dried apricots
- 1/4 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Whipped cream, for garnish
In a covered heavy saucepan, bring the rice, milk, apricots, vanilla scrapings and lemon zest to a simmer over medium heat. Immediately reduce the heat to as low as possible, cover tightly, and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until the rice is very tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Turn off the heat. Stir the egg yolks into the cooked rice mixture and stir just until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the sugar. Pour the rice pudding into ramekins or dessert cups and let cool. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours or until ready to serve, up to 24 hours. Serve with whipped cream.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.