- 1 (8-ounce) package udon or soba noodles
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup soy sauce, preferably naturally brewed
- 1/3 cup mirin
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 cup snow peas, strings removed and halved crosswise on the diagonal
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- 16 ounces soft tofu, cubed
- 1 romaine lettuce heart, shredded
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red radishes or daikon matchsticks
- 1/2 cup carrot matchsticks
- 2 scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- Toasted sesame oil, for serving, optional
- Hot sauce, for serving, optional
Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Add the noodles and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain and divide them among 4 large soup bowls.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine 3 cups water with the soy sauce, mirin, vinegar, and ginger and bring it to a simmer. Add the snow peas, mushrooms, and tofu to the pan. Simmer until the snow peas are crisp tender and the tofu is heated through, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Divide the lettuce, radishes, carrots, and scallions among the bowls. Ladle the hot soup over the noodles and vegetables. Drizzle each serving with a few drops of sesame oil and hot sauce, if desired. Serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories 375; Total Fat 5 g; (Sat Fat 0 g, Mono Fat 0.5 g, Poly Fat 2 g) ; Protein 20 g; Carb 57.5 g; Fiber 6 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 1965 mg