- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lightly packed orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 (1-inch thick) slices sweet batard or brioche
- 3 or 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- Honeyed Strawberries, recipe follows
In a large bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, sugar, orange zest, vanilla, cardamom, and salt until eggs are broken up and evenly combined. Soak 3 bread slices in egg mixture turning once, until soaked through, about 4 minutes total.
Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. When butter foams, place 3 pieces soaked bread in the pan and cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining bread. Serve topped with Honeyed Strawberries.
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds removed
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled, and halved lengthwise
Mix honey, vanilla, and orange juice together in a medium bowl until honey is dissolved. Add strawberries, stir to coat, and let sit until berries give off their juices, at least 5 minutes. Stir briefly before using.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 5 minutes
Ease of preparation: easy