- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/4 red cabbage, thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 lime, plus wedges for serving
- 2 tablespoons honey or agave nectar
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Kosher salt
- 12 corn tortillas
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds skinless halibut fillet, cut into 2-by-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 Hass avocado
- 1/2 cup fresh salsa
Heat about 3 inches vegetable oil in a medium pot over medium-low heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 375 degrees F. Meanwhile, toss the cabbage, cilantro, lime juice, honey and mayonnaise in a bowl. Season the slaw with salt.
Warm the tortillas in a skillet over medium-low heat or wrap in a damp cloth and microwave 25 seconds. Wrap in a towel to keep warm.
Mix the flour, chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste in a shallow bowl. Dredge the fish in the flour mixture, then fry in batches until golden and just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Season with salt.
Halve, pit and slice the avocado. Fill the tortillas with the fish, avocado, slaw and salsa. Serve with lime wedges.
Per serving: Calories 777; Fat 45 g (Saturated 7 g); Cholesterol 103 mg; Sodium 529 mg; Carbohydrate 66 g; Fiber 9g; Protein 31 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos