Blushing She Crab Soup with a Twist
- 1 1/4 pounds extra-sweet grape tomatoes, divided
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 small sweet banana peppers, seeded and quartered
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon natural brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper, divided
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 12 ounces vegetable juice (recommended: V-8)
- 1 egg
- 1 small lemon, juiced (about 1/4 cup)
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons sweet cream salted butter
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon crab boil seasoning (recommended: Old Bay)
- 2/3 cup high quality cream sherry (sweet)
- 1/2 teaspoon crab base
- 1 cup fresh lump blue crabmeat (steamed or boiled)
- 1/2 cup good quality grated Parmesan
- 2 teaspoons red lump fish caviar, rinsed and strained
Preheat oven to 440 degrees F.
Halve 18 of the grape tomatoes. In a baking dish pour in 1/4 cup olive oil. To that add banana peppers, and 1/2 of the tomatoes. Mix to coat all with oil. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bake uncovered (ideally in convection oven) until they start to brown (about 15 minutes).
In a pot heat 1/4 cup olive oil and add 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion, 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, natural brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, 1/4 teaspoon course ground black pepper. Stir over high heat. Add the remaining whole tomatoes and continue to mix until the tomato skins start to peal (about 4 minutes). Pour entire contents of this pot into a blender. To this add cilantro, the roasted tomato mixture and chicken broth. Blend until fairly smooth (about 15 to 20 seconds).
Pour entire contents into pot, add 6 ounces of vegetable juice, bring almost to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
In a medium mixing bowl beat egg until it produces a light foam and beat in the lemon juice. To this add the remaining 6 ounces vegetable juice and beat again. Slowly mix in 1 cup of the hot soup. Take soup off the heat and slowly mix this mixture into the soup. Add 2 tablespoons heavy cream and stir over medium heat until it starts to bubble. Remove from heat.
In a skillet add 6 tablespoons butter, melt butter over medium heat, add 2/3 cup of finely chopped red onion and garlic. Saute for about a minute and then add 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper and 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper. Continue sauteing until the onions are soft and translucent. Then add crab boil seasoning and cream sherry. Turn heat up until mixture comes to a bubble then lower to medium heat and stir until it starts thickening to almost a light syrup consistency. Once it has thickened add crab base and make sure it is incorporated well. Then add 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream stir over medium to high heat until it starts to bubble. Then add 1 cup of crabmeat and mix well, once it comes to a bubble again remove from heat.
For each serving:
Add 1/2 cup of the tomato soup to bowl, to this add 2/3 cup of the crab soup, 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan. And 1/4 teaspoon of the red lump fish caviar and mix well. Float a tablespoon of the crab soup in center
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of Andreann Geise, Myrtle Beach, SC