Caraway and Fennel Crusted Loin of Lamb with Mustard Sauce
- 3 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 3 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 1 lamb loin, about 2 pounds
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint leaves
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Place the seeds in a coffee grinder and grind to a powder. Place the mixture on a plate. Season the loin with salt and pepper to taste and dredge on all sides with the spice mixture. Heat the oil in a medium skillet over high heat until almost smoking. Sear the lamb on all sides until golden brown. Transfer the lamb to the oven and roast for 8 to10 minutes for medium-rare doneness. Remove and let rest.
Place the skillet on top of the stove over high heat. Remove all but 2 tablespoons of the fat. Add the shallots and cook until soft. Add the wine and cook until reduced by 3/4. Add the stock and cook until reduced by half. Whisk in the mustards and season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the heat and stir in the mint.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.