Citrus Blueberry Salad with Almond Relish and Minted Sugar
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds chopped
- 1/4 cup pure cane granulated sugar
- 8 fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 2 ruby red grapefruits, segmented and juice reserved
- 2 yellow grapefruits, segmented and juice reserved
- 2 Navel oranges, segmented and juice reserved
- 2 tablespoons honey
- One 2-inch piece fresh ginger, cut in half
- 1 pint fresh blueberries, picked over and rinsed
Combine the grapefruits and oranges in a large decorative bowl. Combine the reserved citrus juices in a small saucepan (you should have at least 2 cups, if you don't, add enough fresh orange or grapefruit juice to make up the difference). Add the honey and fresh ginger and bring to a boil. Cook until the mixture is reduced by half. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature, at least 30 minutes. Remove the ginger and pour the mixture over the citrus. Cover and refrigerate the salad for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
Just before serving, stir in the blueberries. Top with the minted almond sugar and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray