Devil Crab Rolls
- 2 pounds stale bread, cut into cubes
- 2 quarts water
- 2 ounces salt
- 1/2 -ounce garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1 teaspoon crab boil seasoning
- 1 stalk celery, chopped finely
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped finely
- 1 1/2 pounds bread crumbs, plus more for breading
- 1 pound crab meat, cleaned and picked free of crab shells
- 1 pint Crab Sauce, recipe follows
- Oil, for frying
- Crab Sauce:
- 8 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 4 ounces tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 ounces hot sauce
- 4 ounces crabmeat, cleaned and picked over for shells
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
In a large bowl, place the cubed stale bread. Pour the water over and let soak for 10 minutes. Sprinkle the salt, garlic salt, black pepper, red chile flakes, crab boil seasoning, chopped celery, and chopped onions. Using your hands, combine all the ingredients together into a homogenized mixture. Set aside so the flavors blend.
Take a small handful of the bread mixture and using your thumb or finger, press out a hole. Take a small scoop, about 1 1/2 ounces, of the crab mixture and place it into the hole. Bring the bread mixture around the crab mixture, forming a patty. Set aside on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper, or a large platter. Continue making patties until all of the mixtures are used.
In a large skillet, pour 1 1/2 inches of oil into the pan. Heat the oil to 375 degrees F., or until a small piece of the bread mixture sizzles and bubbles when placed in the oil. Place patties in the pan, being careful not to crowd them. Fry until golden on 1 side, about 3 to 4 minutes, and then flip over and fry until golden on the other side.
Note: This recipe was provided by professional chefs, and therefore may be difficult to reproduce in the home.Crab Sauce:
In a large sauce pot, combine all the ingredients. Cook over medium heat, at a simmer, for 30 minutes. Chill the sauce before using.
Yield: 1 quart
Thank you! your flag was submitted.