Minestrone With Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 large stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced pancetta, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 head Savoy cabbage, finely sliced, blanched and drained
- 1/2 bunch Swiss chard, finely sliced
- 1 large waxy potato, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 bouquet garni (1 sprig rosemary, 4 sprigs thyme, 1 bay leaf and 1 bunch parsley, tied together with kitchen twine)
- 3 cups cannellini beans (canned or cooked dried beans)
- 1 cup spinach, coarsely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, for topping
Heat the olive oil in a 4-quart pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, garlic, carrots and pancetta and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add 4 cups water, the cabbage, chard, potato, chicken stock, tomatoes and bouquet garni. Bring the soup to a gentle simmer and cook 25 to 30 minutes.
Place half of the beans (1 1/2 cups) in a food processor and process until smooth. Add the bean puree and the whole beans to the soup and simmer 10 minutes. Add the spinach and cook 2 more minutes. Season generously with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with cheese.
Photograph by Yunhee Kim
Thank you! your flag was submitted.