Mussels with Bacon, Shallots, and Apple
- 4 ounce smoked bacon, cut into 1/4-inch lardons
- 2 shallots, peeled and sliced into thin rings
- 1 tart apple, peeled and small diced
- 1 pound mussels, washed and bearded
- 1 ounce dry white wine
- 1 ounce apple cider
- 1/2 ounce apple cider vinegar
- 2 ounce heavy cream
- 1 fresh thyme branch
- Kosher or sea salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
Cook bacon over a medium high heat in a wide saucepan until rendered and crisp. Drain off some of the fat. Add shallots and apple. Cook until slightly caramelized. Add mussels and stir to coat. Deglaze with white wine, apple cider, and vinegar. Reduce slightly. Add cream, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook until all the mussels are open and the sauce is reduced and slightly thickened. Serve in the pan or transfer to a large, wide bowl. Serve with toasted country bread.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.