- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 slices country bread, crusts removed and cut into 1/8-inch dice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound slab bacon cut into 1/2-inch lardons
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 8 cups frisee, washed, dried and cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 poached eggs
Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat. Add the bread cubes and season with salt and pepper. Cook until golden brown and place on a plate lined with paper towels. Heat a medium saute pan over high heat. Add the bacon and cook until golden brown. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels. Add the shallots and garlic to the pan and cook until soft. Add the vinegar and cook for 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Place the frisee, croutons, and bacon in a bowl add the vinaigrette and toss to coat. Divide the salad onto 4 plates and top with a poached egg.
Crusted Steak with Mustard-Mint Sauce:
- 4 (3 to 4-ounce) filet mignon
- Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
Season filet with salt on both sides. Sprinkle 1 side of each filet with 1/2 teaspoon of the ancho chile powder and 1/2 teaspoon of the coarsely ground black pepper. Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over high heat until almost smoking. Place the filet, pepper-side down in the pan and saute for 2 to 3 minutes or until a crust forms. Turn the filet over, reduce heat to medium and continue cooking until desired doneness, 2 to 3 minutes for medium-rare. Let rest 2 to 3 minutes before serving, spoon 1 tablespoon of the sauce over each steak.
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated horseradish or prepared (drained)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and season with salt to taste.