Green Onion Slaw:
- 1 cup coarsely chopped green onions, white and green parts
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 serrano chiles
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small head of purple cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon pasilla chile powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
- Heaping 1/4 teaspoon chile de arbol
- Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- Heaping 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 (8-ounce) boneless chicken breasts, skin on
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Black Pepper Vinegar Sauce (recipe follows)
To make the dressing for the slaw, combine the green onions, vinegar, honey, chiles, mayonnaise, oil and salt and pepper to taste in a blender and blend until emulsified.
Combine the cabbage, red onion and poppy seeds in a bowl, add the dressing, and stir until combined. Fold in the cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate while you grill the chicken or for up to 1 hour.
Heat your grill to high.
Stir together the ancho powder, pasilla powder, cumin, coriander, ginger, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, allspice, cinnamon, cloves, fennel, chile de arbol, 2 tablespoons salt, black pepper and cayenne in a small bowl.
Brush both sides of the breasts with the oil and season with salt. Rub the top side of each breast with a few tablespoons of the rub and place on the grill, rub side down. Grill until golden brown and slightly charred, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the breasts over and continue grilling until just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes longer.
Remove the chicken from the grill and drizzle with the black pepper vinegar sauce. Tent loosely with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve the slaw on the side.
Black Pepper Vinegar Sauce:
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
Combine the vinegar, oil, mustard, honey, salt and pepper in a blender and blend until smooth. The sauce can be made 1 day in advance, covered and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before serving.