- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus 1/2 stick
- 2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons whole caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons whole coriander seeds
- 2 small heads savoy cabbage, cored, leaves thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 poblano pepper, washed and cut into thin rounds, including seeds
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 oranges, juiced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro leaves
In a large saute pan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the cumin, caraway and coriander seeds and toast them slightly for 30 seconds. Do not let them brown.
Immediately add half of the cabbage and season with the salt. Toss and stir to wilt and to combine with the spices. Add the remaining cabbage and if necessary, reseason with salt and allow it to continue wilting. Stir in the poblano, toss and cook over medium heat, stirring from time to time, about 10 to 15 minutes. Taste for seasoning.
Stir in the vinegar and orange juice and toss to blend. Taste for seasoning.
Lower the heat and add the cilantro. Stir to combine and remove the pan from the heat. Arrange it on a serving platter and serve.