Caponata "Agrodolce" (Sweet and Sour)
- 1 cup olive oil, for frying, plus more if needed
- 3 medium eggplants, cut into small dice
- 3 small green zucchini, quartered and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3 small yellow squash, quartered and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 onions, chopped 1/4-inch pieces
- 6 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup roasted red peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup capers
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 2 cups prepared marinara sauce
In a very hot pan, separately cook the vegetables over a medium-high flame with a bit of the olive oil. Cook the onions and the garlic together in the same pan in a little more oil. Set all cooked vegetables aside in a large bowl.
Make the "agrodolce": Combine vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan and reduce by half over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
While vegetables are still warm, combine with the roasted peppers, olives, and capers. Pour the "agrodolce" vinegar over the vegetable mixture and toss to coat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the chopped herbs and marinara sauce and stir.
Serve the caponata at room temperature.
Recipe courtesy Mariano Orlando