Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 cup unsalted butter, plus 1 tablespoon for cake pan
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrot
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus 2 tablespoons for cake pan
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 10 ounces finely chopped fresh pineapple, or tinned (well drained)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 pound cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Special equipment: an electric mixer and 2 (9-inch) cake pans
For the cake: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In an electric mixer cream together 1 cup butter, sugar, and cinnamon until smooth and fluffy. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition. Fold in the grated carrot. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix 1/2 of the flour into the butter mixture, then add 1/2 the water, mix well. Mix in the remaining flour and water. Fold in the pineapple.
Grease 2 (9-inch) cake pans with the remaining butter and dust with the remaining flour.
Divide the batter evenly between the 2 cake pans. Bake for 35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then remove from the pan and cool completely.
For the icing: Cream together the butter and cream cheese until smooth.Whip in the icing sugar and lemon juice.
Slice both cooled cakes into 2 layers. Spread the icing in between the layers as you stack them up. Ice the top and sides of the cake to finish.
Recipe courtesy The Cookworks