Keftedes: Greek Meatballs
- 3 slices white bread with crust
- 1 cup milk
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped oregano
- 2 finely chopped tablespoons mint
- 2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Flour, for dusting
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pita Bread
- Cucumber Yogurt Sauce, recipe follows
- Cucumber Sauce:
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 cup seeded and small-diced cucumber
- 3 cloves minced garlic
Dunk bread quickly in milk and press the liquid out to dampen the bread.
Combine the beef, bread, onion, garlic, oregano, mint, vinegar, eggs, nutmeg, salt, and pepper in a bowl and mix well. Take a large spoon of the mixture and roll into a ball until all the mixture has been rolled.
In a saute pan, add the olive oil and bring it to 360-degrees F for frying. Dust the balls in flour and add to the oil. Brown on all sides, leaving room in the pan to roll them around. Pull from the pan and drain on paper towels.
Serve with pita and cucumber yogurt sauce.Cucumber Sauce:
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
Recipe courtesy Cat Cora
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray