Shrimp in Lemon Sauce: Garides Avgolemeno
- 24 large shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup fish broth
- 1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 6 wooden skewers, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes
Marinate the shrimp in the olive oil, oregano, and garlic 30 minutes
Preheat a grill. Preheat an oven to 450 degrees F.
Slide 4 shrimp onto each skewer. Place on a hot grill and mark on both sides quickly, not cooking them through. Put them in a baking dish and pour the fish broth over the shrimp with the tomatoes and place in the oven for about 4 minutes.
Remove from the oven, take the shrimp out of the baking dish, and place on a platter.
In a bowl whisk together the eggs and lemon juice. Slowly pour in the fish broth with the tomatoes and incorporate it until foamy. Season with salt and pepper. Pour it over the shrimp and sprinkle with parsley. Serve warm, as an appetizer.