Chicken Breasts in Tarragon Cream
Recipe courtesy of The Herbfarm Cookbook Published by Scribner, 2000.
If you're an herb lover, this dish, which takes 10 minutes to prepare from start to finish, will become a standard in your repetoire.
- Total Time:
- 10 min
- 2 min
- 8 min
- 4 servings
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth or dry white wine
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 to 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh French tarragon
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. Browning the chicken. Season both sides of the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large (10 to 12-inch) skillet over medium-high heat. Using tongs, carefully lower the chicken breasts into the pan and cook them for about 1 minute on each side just untilt hey begin to brown slightly. Transfer the still-raw chicken to a plate.
2. Poaching in cream. Reduce the heat under the skillet to low. Add the shallot and cook, stirring constantly, until softened but not browned, less than 1 minute. Add the vermouth and cook for 30 seconds, then add the cream and half the tarragon. Return the chicken breasts to the pan and adjust the heat so that the cream gently simmers. Cover and cook until the chicken is firm and just cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. To check for doneness, cut into the thickest part of a breast with a pairing knife there should be no sign of pink or translucence.
3. Finishing. Transfer the chicken breasts to a warmed serving platter or individual dinner plates. The sauce should be thick enough to lightly coat a spoon. If it is too thin, continue to simmer it for about 1 minute and it will thicken. Stir in the remaining tarragon and the lemon juice, then taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed. Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve right away with buttered egg noodles.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Chicken in Tarragon Cream Sauce, White and Wild Rice with Walnuts, Tarragon-Cream Chicken and Polenta Pot Pies, Chicken Breast Fillets in Root Beer Marinade, Beef Wellington Recipes, Sesame Chicken Recipes, Oven Fried Chicken Recipes, Baked Ham Recipes, Chicken, Teriyaki Recipes