Layered Shrimp Salad
- 12 ounces cooked chilled shrimp, chopped
- 2 fresh jalapenos, seeded, ribbed and finely chopped divided
- 6 teaspoons lemon flavored olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 to 2 avocados, peeled, pitted, and diced
- Chopped chives, for garnish
Put the shrimp in a small bowl and add 1/2 of the jalapeno, 2 teaspoons lemon oil, and salt and pepper, to taste, and toss to combine. In a second bowl, mix the tomatoes with 2 teaspoons oil and salt and pepper, to taste. Put the diced avocado in a third bowl, add the remaining 2 teaspoons lemon oil, remaining 1/2 of the jalapeno, salt and pepper, to taste, and toss well.
To assemble, divide 3/4 of the shrimp among 4 short 6-ounce wide-rimmed glasses. Top the shrimp in each glass with 1/4 of the tomatoes, followed by 1/4 of the avocado. Finely chop the remaining shrimp to garnish each glass and sprinkle the chives evenly over each salad. Alternately, you can layer this salad in a large glass trifle bowl, to share. Serve immediately or chill and serve within 1 hour.
Turn this into a dip by simply serving with chips!
Go light on black pepper in this dish because of the jalapeno.
Use 1 jalapeno if you are not lover of heat.
Great way to use leftover shrimp cocktail.
Recipe courtesy of Claire Robinson, 2010