- 1 1/2 cups shredded best-quality sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup drained, chopped pepperoncini
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 large Hawaiian sweet rolls (or potato rolls)
- 4 prepared fried boneless chicken breasts
- Hot sauce, for serving
Pulse the cheese, mayonnaise and pepperoncini in a food processor until combined. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and chill at least 3 hours.
Slice the rolls; place a chicken breast on each roll and top with about 2 tablespoons of the cheese mixture. Wrap the sandwiches in foil and keep chilled until ready to use.
Preheat a grill to medium. Place the foil-wrapped sandwiches cheese-side down on the grill and heat through, flipping once, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Serve with your favorite hot sauce.
Photograph by Andrew McCaul