- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tart apples(Granny Smith), peeled, quartered, and sliced 1/4-inch-thick
- Sifted confectioners' sugar
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and set out a deep 10-inch ovenproof skillet (cast-iron is best). In a small bowl, mix the granulated sugar with the cinnamon and set aside.
In the skillet, melt 1/4 cup of the butter over medium heat. Add the apples and saute for 5 minutes or until tender. Pour the egg batter over the apples and transfer the skillet to the oven. Bake for 20 minutes or until the apples are tender and the pie puffs up high.
Meanwhile, melt the remaining 1/4 cup butter. Remove the skillet from the oven, drizzle the puff pie with the butter and sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Return the pie to the oven for 5 minutes or until the sugar mixture is bubbly. Sprinkle with a little confectioners' sugar and serve immediately, right from the skillet.