'Cue the Pulled Pork
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons, plus 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons, plus 2 teaspoons lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 12 ounces raw, lean boneless pork tenderloin, trimmed of excess fat
- 12 ounces raw, boneless pork shoulder (the leanest piece you can find), trimmed of excess fat
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups roughly chopped onion
- Crushed red pepper, optional
- Serving suggestion: Light sandwich buns and rinsed deli cole slaw
- Special equipment: Crock pot
To make the sauce: Place the tomato sauce, ketchup, cider vinegar, brown sugar, and garlic powder in the crock pot. Stir until mixed. Season both types of pork with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and add to the pot. Top with onion and lightly stir.
Cover and cook until pork is fully cooked, on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
Remove all the pork and place it in a large bowl. Shred each piece using 2 forks: one to hold the pork in place and the other to scrape across the meat and shred it. Return the shredded pork to the crock pot and mix well with the sauce.
If you're serving a group, keep the crock pot on its lowest setting, so the pork stays warm. Season with crushed red pepper, if using. Yum time!
Cook's Note: Alternatively, recipe can be baked in a preheated oven, covered, at 325 degrees F for 3 to 4 hours.
PER SERVING (2/3 cup): 220 calories, 6g fat, 637mg sodium, 16g carbs, 1g fiber, 12g sugars, 24g protein
2010 Hungry Girl. All Rights Reserved.
Recipe courtesy of Jeff Mauro