- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, smashed
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 small jicama, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons beet horseradish, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and 1 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft but not brown, about 5 minutes. Add the cabbage, cider, vinegar, sugar, and pepper to taste. Cover and simmer until the cabbage is tender, about 20 minutes.
Mix in the jicama, beet horseradish and dill; season with salt and pepper. Cool to room temperature. Serve with grilled sausage (left).
Photograph by Rick Lew.