Biscotti with Dried Cherries, Chocolate And Almonds
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup almonds, finely chopped
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped (scant 1/2 cup)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a medium bowl whisk together the all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, the baking powder and salt. In a large bowl beat together the sugar, eggs, oil, orange zest and vanilla extract until well combined. In batches add the dry ingredients until the mixture forms a dough. Beat in the cherries, almonds and chocolate.
Transfer the dough to a floured work surface and knead several times. Shape into a log about 10 inches long and 3 inches wide. Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes. With a serrated knife, cut 1/2-inch diagonal slices. Arrange cut side down on the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Turn the cookies over and bake the biscotti until golden, 5 to 10 minutes longer. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
2007, Ellie Krieger all rights reserved
Recipe courtesy of Michael Chiarello