- 2 10 -ounce packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small shallots, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat (1%) milk
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons evaporated milk
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Excerpted from Ellie Krieger's book, So Easy: Luscious Healthy Recipes for Every Meal of the Week (Wiley)
Squeeze all of the water from the spinach. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the flour to the pan and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the low-fat milk and broth and cook, scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a simmer and cook 2 minutes.
Add the spinach and simmer until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the evaporated milk and nutmeg, and season with salt and pepper.
Photograph by Hallie Burton
Thank you! your flag was submitted.