- 6 (6-ounce) black cod fillets, or regular cod fillets
- 1/3 cup low-sodium blond or white miso
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons mirin (Japanese cooking wine)
- Toasted sesame seeds and scallions, for garnish, optional
Rinse fish fillets and pat dry with paper towels. Combine miso, brown sugar, sesame oil and mirin and stir well until brown sugar is fully dissolved.
Brush about 2 tablespoons miso glaze on each fish fillet. Marinate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 1 hour. Place fish under broiler for 3 to 4 minutes, or until top is slightly charred and glaze has caramelized. Remove fish from oven and brush with remaining glaze. Lower oven to 375 degrees F. Cook an additional 5 to 6 minutes, until fish is flaky but not overcooked.
If desired, serve with toasted sesame seeds and scallions.