- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 1/2 cups fish or shrimp stock
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Hot pepper sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 pounds crawfish tails, with the fat
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Cooked white rice, for serving
In a large, heavy saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter and whisk in flour to combine well. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until roux is a peanut butter color.
Add onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic, bay leaves, and thyme and cook until vegetables are soft, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add stock, tomatoes, salt, red pepper, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a boil.
Skim surface, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add crawfish tails and fat, lemon juice, green onions, and parsley and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add remaining butter and stir to combine well. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve over hot rice.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2001
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse