Dolmades: Stuffed Grape Leaves
- 1/4 cup plus 1 cup olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon minced mint
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 (8-ounce) jar grape leaves, or 36 medium-sized fresh leaves
- Kicked Up Tzatziki, recipe follows
- Kicked Up Tzatziki Sauce:
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, sliced in half, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dill or oregano
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Essence, recipe follows
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
In a large saute pan over medium high heat, heat 1/4-cup olive oil. Add the onions and saute until translucent, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and pine nuts and saute for 2 minutes. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly. Add the rice, salt, raisins, mint and juice of 1 lemon to the bowl with the onion mixture and mix well. Set aside.
Bring a medium pot of water to a simmer. Remove the grape leaves from the jar and drop them in batches of 4 or 5 into the hot water. Quickly remove them from the water and spread flat on a towel-lined work surface. Cut the stem from each grape leaf, as needed. (NOTE: Fresh grape leaves also need to be blanched for 1/2 minute.)
To assemble the dolmades, place 1 grape leaf on the work surface, dull side (or underside) of the leaf up. Place 1 to 2 teaspoons of rice filling near the stem end of the leaf. Fold the stem (bottom) end up over the filling, fold the sides toward the filling in the center, then roll up the leaf into a small cylindrical package, being careful not to fold too tightly, as the rice will expand during cooking.
Place the dolmades in a large Dutch oven or wide saute pan, seam side down. Combine the remaining cup of olive oil and juice of 1 lemon, and pour over the dolmades. Cover with a heavy plate or baking dish and add water to cover to the level of the plate. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer for 1 hour, or until rice is tender.
Serve at room temperature, with Kicked Up Tzatziki as a dipping sauce.Kicked Up Tzatziki Sauce:
In a medium bowl combine all the ingredients and chill for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to marry.
Yield: 1 1/2 cupsEssence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from New New Orleans Cooking, by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2001