Jamaican Jerked Chicken
- 5 pounds chicken pieces
- 2 cups distilled white vinegar, plus 1 teaspoon
- 2 cups finely chopped scallions
- 2 Scotch bonnets, seeded and minced (please wear gloves)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 5 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups Jamaican Barbecue Sauce, to serve, recipe follows
- Jamaican Barbecue Sauce:
- 1 1/4 cups ketchup
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Jamaican hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons Jerk marinade (reserved from associated recipe)
- 3 scallions, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup distilled white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
Rinse chicken pieces well in 2 cups of the vinegar, drain, transfer to 2 sealable plastic bags and set aside.
In the bowl of a food processor combine remaining 1 teaspoon vinegar, scallions, Scotch bonnets, soy sauce, lime juice, allspice, bay leaves, garlic, salt, sugar, thyme, and cinnamon. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the jerk marinade for the Jamaican Barbecue Sauce.
Rinse chicken pieces well under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. Divide chicken pieces between 2 heavy-duty gallon plastic sealable bags and divide marinade evenly between the 2. Turn bags over to evenly distribute marinade, and refrigerate chicken for at least 24 hours and up to 2 days.
On an oiled grill rack set about 6 inches above red-hot coals, grill chicken (in batches if necessary), covered, for 10 to 15 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Transfer to a warm platter and keep warm until serving.
Serve with Jamaican Barbecue Sauce, alongside fried plantains, rice, or bread of choice.Jamaican Barbecue Sauce:
In a medium non-reactive saucepan combine all ingredients except rum and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat to a simmer and continue to cook another 12 minutes, until sauce is thick and flavorful and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and stir in rum. Cool sauce to room temperature before serving.
Yield: About 2 cups
Thank you! your flag was submitted.