Roasted Garlic Pasta Sauce
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole Italian plum tomatoes, with their juices
- 3 whole heads roasted garlic, cloves removed from peels
In a large saucepan saute the onion in the olive oil over medium-high heat until soft and lightly golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomato paste, salt, balsamic vinegar, hot sauce, crushed red pepper, Italian seasoning, and basil, and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, crushing with your hands as you place them in the pan, and their juices. Stir to combine well and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a slow simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the roasted garlic cloves and stir to combine. Continue to simmer for 30 to 45 minutes longer, or until the flavors have come together.
Serve over pasta of choice.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2004