For the Calamari Stew:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, cut in 1/2
- 1 3/4 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds calamari (squid), bodies thinly sliced and tentacles whole
For the Garlic Toast:
- 4 to 6 slices of bread
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 to 3 whole cloves garlic
For the Calamari Stew: Warm the olive oil over medium heat in a medium pot. Add the garlic and let cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Remove the garlic. Add the tomato sauce, white wine, thyme, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Add the calamari and stir to combine. Continue to cook until the mixture comes back up to a simmer, about 2 more minutes. Serve immediately with the Garlic Toasts.
For the Garlic Toast: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Meanwhile, drizzle the bread slices with olive oil. Toast until the bread is crisp and turning golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and rub the top of the toasts with whole garlic cloves. Serve immediately with the Calamari Stew.