- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cool unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus extra for rolling
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup molasses (not blackstrap)
- 1/4 cup egg whites (from about 2 eggs)
Combine the flour, baking soda, and spices in a mixing bowl and set aside. Cream the butter until smooth and fluffy in a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or using a hand mixer). Add the sugars and mix. Add the molasses and mix. Add the egg whites in 2 batches, mixing to combine after each addition. Add the dry ingredients in three batches, mixing to combine after each addition.
Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spread a few tablespoons of granulated sugar on a small plate.
Roll the dough into 3/4-inch balls, then roll each ball in the sugar until lightly coated. Transfer to parchment lined cookie sheets, leaving 1-inch of space between the cookies. Bake until browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool on wire racks and store in an airtight container.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray