Fish and Chips
- 1 cup white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup water, or enough as needed to create correct consistency for dipping fillets
- Canola oil
- 4 to 6 large potatoes, peeled and cut in batonnets
- 6 (6 to 8-ounce) tilapia fillets, sliced in 1/2 lengthwise into 12 strips
- Malt vinegar, as an accompanying condiment
Combine the flour and baking powder in a mixing bowl and season with salt and pepper. Beat egg yolks with a small amount of the water in a small bowl (a 2 cup glass measuring pitcher works great for this). Whisk the egg mixture a little at a time into the flour and add additional water, as necessary, to achieve a smooth consistency for the batter.
Fry potatoes in deep-fryer until golden brown and drain on paper towels. Season with salt.
Serve with malt vinegar or your choice of condiments.
2007, Robert Irvine, All Rights Reserved