Fish and Chips
- 1 cup white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup water, or enough as needed to create correct consistency for dipping fillets
- Canola oil
- 4 to 6 large potatoes, peeled and cut in batonnets
- 6 (6 to 8-ounce) tilapia fillets, sliced in 1/2 lengthwise into 12 strips
- Malt vinegar, as an accompanying condiment
Combine the flour and baking powder in a mixing bowl and season with salt and pepper. Beat egg yolks with a small amount of the water in a small bowl (a 2 cup glass measuring pitcher works great for this). Whisk the egg mixture a little at a time into the flour and add additional water, as necessary, to achieve a smooth consistency for the batter.
Fry potatoes in deep-fryer until golden brown and drain on paper towels. Season with salt.
Serve with malt vinegar or your choice of condiments.
2007, Robert Irvine, All Rights Reserved
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay