- 3 crisp apples (such as Cortland)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 shallots, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 pound deli-sliced Black Forest ham, torn into pieces
- 2 bunches watercress, trimmed
- 4 endives, sliced crosswise
- Freshly ground pepper
Thinly slice the apples. Toss with the lemon juice in a large bowl.
Make the dressing: Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 8 minutes. Whisk in the vinegar and mustard; remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Whisk in the sour cream and 1/4 cup water.
Add the dressing to the bowl with the apples. Add the ham, watercress and endives. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
Photograph by Con Poulos
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine