- 8 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon or lime juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 8 thick slices multigrain bread
- 2 peaches, halved, pitted and thinly sliced
- Baby arugula, for topping
- Cornichons or other pickles, for serving (optional)
Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, turning a few times until crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain, then cut each slice in half.
While the bacon is cooking, pulse the basil, olive oil, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon water, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a mini food processor (or finely chop the basil and whisk with the other ingredients) until smooth. Add the mayonnaise and pulse until just combined.
Toast the bread and spread evenly with the basil mayonnaise. Divide the peaches, bacon and arugula among half of the bread slices; top with the remaining bread slices. Serve with cornichons.
Per serving: Calories 399; Fat 25 g (Saturated 5 g); Cholesterol 25 mg; Sodium 887 mg; Carbohydrate 30 g; Fiber 5 g; Protein 13 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos