- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 9 slices olive bread, lightly toasted
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup chopped jarred roasted red peppers
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 pounds ground lamb or beef chuck
- 2 shallots, finely grated (about 1/4 cup)
- 4 slices manchego cheese
- Lettuce leaves, for serving
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Remove the crust from 1 slice bread and tear the bread into 1-inch pieces. Add to the skillet along with the garlic and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add the almonds and cook until golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a mini food processor or blender along with the roasted peppers, vinegar, the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon paprika and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Pulse until slightly chunky.
Gently mix the ground meat, shallots, 1 teaspoon salt and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon paprika in a bowl with your hands until just combined. Form into four 1-inch-thick patties.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Brush with olive oil, then add the patties and cook until browned on the bottom, 4 to 5 minutes. Flip and top the patties with cheese; cook 4 to 5 more minutes. Spread the roasted pepper sauce on the remaining 8 slices bread. Serve the burgers on the bread with lettuce.
Per serving: Calories 885; Fat 54 g (Saturated 20 g); Cholesterol 131 mg; Sodium 1,647 mg; Carbohydrate 50 g; Fiber 3 g; Protein 46 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.