Barley Salad With Ham and Black-Eyed Peas
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 cups frozen black-eyed peas
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 7 ounces mixed baby greens (about 12 cups)
- 3/4 pound deli ham (preferably low sodium), in 1 piece, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 5 radishes, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill pickles or cornichons
Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add the barley, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer 7 minutes; add the black-eyed peas and continue cooking until both the barley and black-eyed peas are tender, about 5 more minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
Whisk the olive oil, vinegar, mayonnaise, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Add the greens, ham, tomatoes, radishes, scallions, pickles, barley and black-eyed peas and toss. Divide among plates.
Per serving: Calories 376; Fat 15 g (Saturated 2 g); Cholesterol 15 mg; Sodium 472 mg; Carbohydrate 48 g; Fiber 9 g; Protein 16 g
Photograph by Christopher Testani
Thank you! your flag was submitted.