- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 15 -ounce can refried beans
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 8 corn tostadas (flat, hard taco shells)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- Shredded lettuce, hot sauce and/or cilantro, for topping
Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the beef and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, breaking up the meat, until browned, about 3 minutes. Add the tomato paste and chili powder and cook, stirring, about 2 more minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the refried beans in a small saucepan. Thin the sour cream with about 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl.
Spread the beans on the tostadas, then top with the beef and cheese. Drizzle with the sour cream. Top with lettuce, hot sauce and/or cilantro.
Per serving: Calories 660; Fat 42 g (Saturated 16 g); Cholesterol 114 mg; Sodium 1,252 mg; Carbohydrate 38 g; Fiber 7 g; Protein 36 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.