Bistro Egg Sandwiches
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 to 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1 baguette, cut into 4 pieces, each halved lengthwise
- 4 large eggs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 pound country pate or ham, cut into 4 slices
- 2 ounces gruyere or comte cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 cup frisee or other greens
- Finely sliced chives, for garnish
Preheat the broiler to high. Mix 4 tablespoons butter with the mustard and anchovy paste in a small bowl until smooth.
Spread the anchovy butter on the cut sides of the bread; place buttered-side up on a baking sheet and broil until toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside.
Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Crack in the eggs; season with salt and pepper and let cook until the yolks just begin to firm up and the edges are slightly crisp, about 3 minutes.
Assemble the sandwiches: Place 2 bread halves on each of 4 plates; top with a slice of pate, an egg, some cheese, greens and chives.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.